Monday, August 27, 2012

Baking


Today's blog is going to take you off the beaten track, a different track from the purpose of my trip as a whole.   I probably should share this story in the telling of my time on the King's property, however this is a wonderful stand alone account that I do not want to be lost. 

I was able to have an afternoon that was 'free' for me!  I had  so much fun I was free to ask questions and linger and not be a 'diplomat' and just be an individual on a great adventure. I was probably the only white woman besides my one companion  to have graced this area in a long time.   I had freedom to observe, to reflect on the things I was seeing and experience them on my terms.  I learned so many things that I would not have known, had this serendipity not been given to me.  I was inwardly pinching myself.

This discovery came as we were walking on a path to see a different community not as remote as those of past days. I was breathing in the smell of smoke, a mix of charcoal and wood filled the air.  This is not a unique smell.  In fact all of the Western Provence of Zambia has this smell.  I came home with my clothes carrying this smell. I purchased some woven baskets as gifts that still carry this smell, it sinks into  everything.  However, a different smell was also permeating our senses.  Bread!  A hot yeasty bread. 

As a bread baker, a bread baking educator, student and consumer of breads, this smell had my attention at the first sniff.   We were walking by a hut where this smell was drawing me toward it.  I asked my guide if it would be okay to stop and visit with the baker.   I was granted a wonderful, wonderful experience.

My guide, whom I will tell you more about at another time, is really in step with what Hands of Hope  (http://www.handsofhopeonline.org/) is all about. One of her many jobs is that of an educator, helping women get a chance to change their lives. Teaching them how to have a business and getting them education is her goal. She too was interested in this lady and engaged conversation with her.

This village woman is in a good place for a tribal African woman.  She looks healthy, her property was neat and organized and she bakes scones.  Scones by definition are are a biscuit that originated from Scotland in the 1600's.  Well her 'scones' were nothing like a biscuit, They were incredible rolls that would grace any fancy dinner table here in the states.  They were beautiful in shape, delicate in texture and delicious.  She sells them to other villagers, it was dinner time and I am guessing that they probably come to get them warm and gobble them down before they go home.

I generally did not taste or eat anything in the villages, it is a good rule to follow.  But in this case it was a must.  I gave her a Kwatcha, a generous amount for one roll,  but that was all I had and I figured it was a wonderful investment in her business.  I have no clue what she charges but I hope my purchase made her day.  It made mine.   Below I am going to show you her 'kitchen'.  The explanation will be in the captions below each photo.  I remain humbled and amazed! These emotions have not left me as I work in my own kitchen.  I need to look at these photos often to reflect on my blessings. 



This oven/stove is a nice one!  It is built up with cement blocks and  some sheet metal.  I have not idea how the temperature is determined but she has it down pat.
This is a rather large cooking area compared to others I have I seen. The 'straw fence' is placed around the kitchen area to keep the blowing sand away.
I asked if she would let me see her kitchen. She was delighted and I was humbled. The working area is maybe 4ft x 5ft. The only advantage she has over me is that the grass mat allowed the crumbs to fall through on the sand below.  But it is ever so humble by our standards and grand compared to other village kitchens.

Note the tomatoes in both pictures for perspective.   The above items were in the corner. What you are seeing is a bin for water and a basin for washing and mixing. 

She was so very proud of her kitchen and that we took an interest in her life.
I decided this photo was worth a repeat!  This picture does not capture how beautiful these 'scones' are and how wonderful they tasted. :)
These are the main ingredients of her rolls.  There was also sugar but she did not show me this item. Perhaps it was the secret ingredient she was not willing to share :)?

This is her home.  As she is facing us in the picture above she is looking at her home.  The grounds are neat, there is a door on her mud hut, the clothes are washed and hanging and she has space. 

I returned home to my beautiful kitchen, my hot and cold running water, my two sinks, my double oven, my awesome counter tops, my air conditioned home and I put my 'wish' list aside.  I need nothing more but to remain humble, grateful and to use the wonderful blessings I already have.

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Hebrews 15:3 (The Bible)






No comments:

Post a Comment