Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's Sunday






It is Sunday evening here in my home.  Sunday's are important days to me and to my family.  Our worship of God the creator of heaven and earth is pivotal to all that I do.  To many reading these blogs God is irrelevant or archaic. He perhaps is something one might consider at another time or choose not to believe in at all. 

Sundays are the day we corporately worship, while daily I am drawn to seek my Creator and Savior.  My relationship with Jesus compels me to serve others.  It gives meaning to my life and hope to those who need it.  I am also mandated to help those in need.  "Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors Him." Proverbs (Bible) 14.31 

Why do I include my personal beliefs in this Mongu adventure and journey?  I share this aspect of my trip because God is acknowledged and plays a part of the lives those in the Western Province of Mongu.  It may be a simple belief but He is an aspect of life that cannot be ignored.   Most villages have a church.  What they believe may vary but God is acknowledged in some way.  Another aspect of their spiritual journey is mystic and fearful. For those who fear I am sad. The spirit world is real, I believe this totally and the dark side of this realm paralyzes many from going forward in life.  

As I asked a 'million questions' about things I observed, one overriding question had to do with abandoned buildings that with little effort could be inhabited. Many were from the Colonial era when Britain dominated Africa, they are red brick structures that have stood the test of time.  Often a straw or mud hut is erected next to these homes of the past.  I was puzzled as to why these good buildings were not occupied.  The answer was that someone had probably died in the house and the fear of spirits kept them from inhabiting them.  The supernatural is real and cannot be ignored. 

I was privileged to visit several churches during our time here.  My husband, Don journeyed with us this year.  He had the privilege to teach a workshop for pastors and church leaders.  For both of us it was exciting to see the desire of  90+ people coming to learn how to study the Bible.  The spiritual hunger in this barren land, matched the physical hunger.  

The places of worship ranged from the primitive to constructed buildings.  The pictures below are Protestant in focus.  The photos at the bottom have the same building structure as do the Catholic churches. Most churches in the villages are mud in structure with thatched roofs.  Below are some snapshots of various places of worship. 

This was the host church for my husbands workshop.


The host church was one of the larger churches and could handle the group.
All pulpits are decorated in some form. This one had a drape.  The one below, flowers.


A simpler church, mud walls but a very nice building in the center of this village.

Guest home for visitors at the church above.
The Pastor, Choir Director and Don.





 Below is the best 'sign' I have yet to capture.  I shared in an earlier blog that cell phones in Africa have transcended all other modern conveniences.  An inhabitant of a grass/mud hut, the driver of an ox cart can be seen talking on his phone.  It is a status symbol and the ring tones are ear piercing.  This new world invasion has to be curbed within the church. Take note of the sign below! 

I asked the pastor of this church how they collected the fine for incoming phone call.  He shared that it is the task of the ushers.  They do collect! 
 
Take note all ministers!



          


For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?  Mathew (Bible) 16:26

The Spiritual cannot be ignored if the physical life is to change.  It is impossible.  Poverty is not just a financial state but a spiritual one as well.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment