Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." w. wallace

On this Monday night in April I have come back to my blog to do some reflecting on life, family, friendships and death.  Because I am blessed with so many experiences that draw me into the lives of people, places and things I am also pulled into the sad side of life as well.  My blog title says so much,  "Every man (woman) dies.  Not every man (woman) really lives."  My musings will hopefully cause those who choose to read this to be aware of their mortality and to embrace the gifts that life brings.

One year ago I made a rushed trip to TN.  I had a dear friend who was dying and she made it known to her family that she wanted to see me.  Her condition was deteriorating quickly, as that horrible disease called cancer was winning.  I had been out of town and did not know if I could make it in time.  My prayer was answered and I did make it,  45 minutes was all that was left of her earthly life but I made it!!  The simple tear drop told me she knew I was there and then she left this earth. To have been summoned by her as she was dying is perhaps the highest compliment a friend can give. I remain humbled by this request.

That same trip one year ago, I was able to visit another dear and special friend who was also battling cancer.  She was in a better state physically. We were able to visit, share pizza together and enjoy the gift of time, family and friendship.  I knew deep down in my heart that when I left TN that it would be the last time I saw her this side of eternity.  I was right a few weeks ago she too was taken out of this life by cancer. 



Both of these fun, incredible, beautiful, strong full of life ladies changed my life in so many ways.  The dash between the dates of their births and their deaths was time well spent.  Both were awesome mothers and wives, they contributed to life in their work, their love for others and in giving.  Both had zeal and zest for life.  Both chose to include me as a friend.



I now am facing the fact that my father has cancer, sooner than later he will not be here on earth any longer.  The dash between his birth and the days left on this earth are few. He is in his 80's.   His mortality and preparing to leave this earth again makes me reflect on mine.  Life is so fleeting.

As ponder the brevity of life and the impact that we as humans have on each others lives I am praying that I end well. Is someone better because they spent time with me or  you?  Are my actions such that another person is inspired to become the 'best' they can be?   Have I cared more about others than myself?  What difference does it make that I have lived?

When the final day of my life here on earth is etched upon my grave stone , will the  dash between the dates have made an impact on this place called earth?   Will someone have been better off, encouraged, given hope, made to smile because I was alive?

What will be said of the 'dash' between the dates of your life? My two friends, Cathey Harrell Tierney and Pam Riddell made a difference, they allowed me to be their friend and have impacted me forever. I am closing with two quotes.  One from the Bible the other from a deep theologian, Erma Bombeck, both resound with a message I have chosen to embrace.  What is your resolve on life?

"For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better."  Philippians 1:20-21 Bible

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say 'I used everything you gave me.' " Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment