Monday, August 12, 2013

Back to School

It is the second week in August.  In our part of town, school will not begin for a couple more weeks.  Last minute vacations or fun trips are planned by families.  Parents here look for activities to keep the kids busy and them from going crazy.   The chain stores have the isles stocked with the required school materials and each is offering incredible prices that scream 'come shop here'.  The weekly advertisements show pictures of the newest trend in school clothing, back packs, lunch totes and the lists do not stop.  Buy me, shop here, stock up and be fresh and ready for this next school year.  Each parent and student feels the pressure to have the 'right' and 'most popular' of items.  The gathering games begin.

As a child I loved getting new crayons, notebooks, pens and pencils.  I loved to gather those new fresh items and then place them in my desk or as I got older my locker. Even as a child I understood the fresh new start that a new school year offered to me.  (I always needed a fresh new start :). )  My family had little money but I always had something new to wear as I begin each year.  It was a badge of honor and privilege that delighted me. I lived in the USA and education was my right and I was expected to go to school.
Though hard to see this little boy's notebook is news print cover with a few sheets of paper.    
  Our children in the Western Provence do not know such luxury.  Going to school is the honor and luxury few get to experience.   Those from villages in the bush do not come from families where education is the norm, survival is the norm.  Being healthy is not the norm.  Having enough food is not the norm, new clothes are unheard of, each family member is wearing the only clothing they own. School supplies ... what are school supplies?  The governments task is to provide the needed items but they do not do it well. 

Hands of Hope has gifted these students with a school, desks, chalk boards and housing for teachers.  This is a magnificent gift for these are people who felt forsaken by God and their own people.  No longer is this true!  They called out to God and He answered their prayers.  God kept His promise. If you were to talk to them they would attest to God's provisions.


You will seek me (GOD)  and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah (Bible) 29:13

The Teaching Style is very British and Formal.

Text books do not exist at this school so the black board is the main teaching tool.

These boys were delighted to have us change the course of their school day. This is Mawawa.          


Mawawa and Luntende are the two villages that we have built schools.  Luntende being the newest.  Over the next couple of blogs I am going to take you through what school in the bush looks like.  It is simple by our standards, basics that we would demand are luxuries unheard of.  However, these schools represent hope for a better life, HOPE because someone (perhaps you) cared.

Education is critical to allowing these students to escape from poverty and to have hope of a better life.  Thank you Hands of Hope for helping this become possible.
 
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” ― Nelson Mandela  

No comments:

Post a Comment